Lsn #7: Drive Traffic via Your Big Fat Mouth

Spread the Word! Talk about your blog! For goodness sake, don't keep it a secret. I swear I have used SEO strategies for over 3 years now, and yes I'm getting checks from advertisers. But the most clicks I get on my sites are when I talk about it in classes.

Ok, Ok, I have an advantage. I am a computer instructor. I purposely post helpful documents and information free on my site so that people will go there. And I track the traffic to my sites. So I have proven over and over and over that I get the most clicks the day of and the following week after I teach a class. All my traffic declines in December (because school is out) and in the summer (again, school is out).

I also learned a lesson from the book, Rich Dad Poor Dad by Richard Kiyosaki, (read it if you haven't). That lesson was, "Don't take financial advice from poor people." LOL! Makes perfect sense, and yet how many times did my deadbeat cousin try to advise me on my online business? (Lots, but I ignored him. He doesn't HAVE a business.)



Instead, I take notice of a few prominent websites and I pay attention to their layouts, colors and advertiser links. They are successful so can afford graphics designers and SEO strategists. I'm just lil'ol'me. So I watch their designs and try to copy them as much as possible. (Grandma always said, "Imitation is the sincerest form of flattery.")

For instance, radio personalities make a ton of money on their advertiser links. I listen to Dave Ramsey's Financial Freedom talk show. I have been to his website which I "heard" him talk about. On his site he features his books, his financial strategy plans, and it is loaded with advertiser links. Dave Ramsey makes more money than I do. But would I have ever found his site without his Big Fat Mouth telling the world about it on radio? Maybe, but probably not.

I have come to the conclusion that the best SEO strategy you can use first is: YOU HAVE TO TALK ABOUT YOUR SITE! Print it on business cards, your checks, put it on your rear windshield.

And once someone visits your site, have back links to your many other sites prominently displayed. You want them to think you are an expert about your topic. So when they finally click onto your welcome page, entice them with more information at "these links".

Take a look on the right hand panel of this blog near the bottom; see any more links there? You bet! I've learned alot and creating my very own back link system is Brilliant Idea #2. I'll talk more about it in the next lesson, Traffic Lesson #2: Big Fat Back Links!

LOL! Happy Clicking!

No comments:

Post a Comment